Monday, July 02, 2007

Conversation with a dog

Saturday night my brother's Minipin Hitler was pawing my mom for food at the dinner table. Seeing him, I said, "I'm sorry Hitler, but it's bye-bye for you." "What do you mean?" Miguel asked. "Well," I said, "now that they have a real baby, Hitler's not going to be their baby any more." I was referring to Dennis and Essie and their new baby Jose Yolo, a.k.a. Jyo. I went on to explain to Miguel that our Jackrussel terrier Rover used to be like a "son" to me. But when I became pregnant, I knew that I would be too busy to pay him attention because I was going to have a real son. "Do you know that before you were born, I had to sit down and say goodbye to Rover?' I told Miguel. "I wanted to explain to him that I would be very busy with my new baby. That's what I meant when I said that it's bye-bye for Hitler." As soon as I had explained this, Miguel got off his seat and said, "Mommy, can I wash my hands after this?" Miguel went over to Hitler, crouched on the floor beside him, and stroked his head. "Goodbye Hitler. I'm gonna miss you. You're cute. I'm gonna babysit now. Okay. Goodbye. I'm gonna miss you. I'm gonna be babysitting now. (Pause) Wish me luck." And with that he got up, went to the kitchen, washed his hands, and then got back in his seat to finish his dinner. Now that's what I call closure.

1 comment:

mama_aly said...

Awwwwwww. I like the "wish me luck" part best.