Monday, August 23, 2004

The D word

The D word has been popping up in Miguel's vocabulary. To demonstrate:

Mommy: Does mommy love you?
Miguel: Yes.
Mommy: How do you know?
Miguel: My daddy told me.
(Puzzled, I wonder, has he been calling my house? Still, I don't miss a beat.)
Mommy: When did he tell you?
Miguel: When I was a baby.

I don't know if he really believes it, but it's his construct.

Years ago when I was pregnant I obssessed about what to tell Miguel when he asked about his father. My shrink sagely told me, "You'll cross that bridge when you get there." Know what? I'm starting to see that bridge. I have a faint idea of what I haveto do, but while I'm not excited, neither do I intend to shrink back. I only thing I'm sure of is that I have to be honest with my son, and myself.

1 comment:

mama_aly said...

Prepare your script...make it airtight...knowing miguel it's going to be sooner than you expect.