Saturday, June 17, 2006

Culture

Went to see my friend May's art exhibit today, with Miguel in tow. The gallery at UP CFA (College of Fine Arts) was part of a long itinerary, which included: a trip to Ateneo to familiarize him with the routes to his classroom; a heavy merienda (snack) at Jollibee; a trip to Claret so he can see what other schools are like; a quick pass at Kamuning Elementary School; and a haircut at the barber's. I kid you not - we did all that in 4 1/2 hours.

But I digress.

I was very excited for May, who is finally having her first one-woman show. Her canvases range in size from small to gigantic. The way I see it, her works are mainly about shape, since she used mainly square formats with round aluminum washers as major elements. Then of course there is texture, with overly-generous strokes of acrylic and the addition of mixed media. She also chose a dominant color for each artwork, which, along with the circle-square balance, help unify each piece.

Hey, this is just my opinion, okay?

My favorite is a work called "Body," the invitation piece, which my friend bought. It's a very strong (red) piece that can hold a wall on its own. I especially like the swath of different materials, like a palette of textures, across the midsection.

Miguel's favorite art piece is called "Meteor Shower," which as it turns out was acquired by another friend. It's another favorite of mine too. I must say that my son shows good taste.




By the way, here's an extreme close-up of one painting that he took so that, as he said, "you can put it on your blog."



It was nice dropping by the CFA after all these years. I saw a few "kids" in front of the padlocked studios, with their trademark CFA attitude. Driving up I could tell that they were sizing me up, and knew right away that I used to be from the college. You bet your ass.

Haay. It's so good to know that you've been around.

46/100

4 comments:

may said...

sheesh, sandy. this is the very first review i ever got for my show, and a very articulate one, at that =)
"The way I see it, her works are mainly about shape, since she used mainly square formats with round aluminum washers as major elements. Then of course there is texture, with overly-generous strokes of acrylic and the addition of mixed media. She also chose a dominant color for each artwork, which, along with the circle-square balance, help unify each piece."
to think i thought i was only playing (versus overly thinking them out, like the oc i am), when i was making them. thanks, sandy. (i'm glad miguel enjoyed the trip, too.)

sandygirl said...

Tama lang 'yan. It's better not to think when you create. As my teacher says, "gawa lang nang gawa" (just keep painting).

Leave interpretations to people like me, who are so left-brained they try to make sense of everything they see. Anyway we know that it's all hit-or-miss :)

Really wish I were at the opening!

freckle-face said...

i like your friend's work sandy... my type. are there anymore pieces left? i'm already imagining that the style will fit our future house. much like some of eric' works... but then again, we have yet to build our house! hahaha! hopefully soon!

sandygirl said...

Hey freckle-face! There are some pieces left; they'll be on show at the CFA until June 30.

Her next show will be figurative. I'm waiting to see that one, because I want to see how she will develop her style. She's already been published several times - as an illustrator AND writer of children's books. She's a Palanca Award winner too btw :)