Thursday, June 08, 2006

"I don't want to go to Ateneo"

Me: Why?
Miguel: Because they have so many rules.
Me: Like what?
Miguel: You must put your books on the left side, and your envelope on the right side.
Me: Well that makes sense Miguel: so that when you need your book, you know that it is always on the left side. You do not even have to look. And you also know that the envelope is always on the right side. What else?
Miguel: You have to put down the handle of your bag and put it under your table.
Me: Well, I guess so that it does not block the lane so that people can pass.
Miguel: And I don't like to walk on the blue line!

(There are blue lines painted on the corridors for prep kids to follow when they walk. I know, I know. Talk about overkill. But I just told him that you need them to keep order because it's such a big school and there are so many kids.)

Pause.

Me: Do you think that Ateneo is OC?
Miguel: Yes.
Me: Do you know somebody who is OC?
Miguel, suppressing a smile: Me?
Me: Who else?
Miguel, laughing: You!
Me, laughing: See...
Miguel, quickly snapping out of it: But I still don't want to go to Ateneo!
...

This conversation happened at around 4:45AM, he waking up earlier than expected. I got home past his bedtime last night and we didn't get to discuss this except briefly through the phone. Imagine, I joined him on his bed for a few moments after he woke up, and not long after he said, "there's something I have to tell you."

Anyway I had already cancelled the bus service for that morning; I brought him to school myself. I still have to find out later how the day turned out for him.

37/100

3 comments:

mama_aly said...

ok but you'll have to let the bus driver do what he's paid to do someday.

sandygirl said...

Yeah, I hear ya. There seems to be a panic button in my brain that flashes red and screams "PRESS ME, PRESS ME!" every time my son acts up or has a meltdown.

Anyway it seems that he's getting over this not liking Ateneo. One of his bus mates - a Prep kid! - offered to guide him to his classroom this morning. So I packed him into the bus this AM and then went back to sleep :)

sandygirl said...

gee thanks. it gets more raw and visceral the more i do this one-post-a-day thing